Friday, August 9, 2013

Healthy ice cream, and a yummy green smoothie!

Hi all,
I am back with some actual healthy recipes this time, whoo hoo!
My 6 year old is still home on summer break right now, and I am always looking for ways to sneak some healthy snacks in there. The older she gets, the more reluctant she is to eat vegetables (despite my best efforts), but these two healthy snacks were a hit, and she loved them so much she was proud to say they were healthy!


Photo credit: Use real Butter


The first is a yummy peanut butter-chocolate banana ice cream I found over at Use Real Butter.
I used pretty much the same recipe, I just made a lot less. Make sure you do exactly as her instructions say. I was very skeptical when the frozen banana became "banana gravel," I could not imagine that it would really turn smooth and creamy after that, but it really did! The texture was exactly like ice cream, and the taste was decadent. Enjoy!

1 Frozen sliced banana
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tsp cocoa powder

Blend frozen banana pieces until they get past the banana-gravel stage to the smooth and creamy stage. Add other ingredients, blend for a moment, and you have healthy ice cream.

Photo credit: Iowa Girl Eats
 
The next is green smoothie that tastes way to good to be healthy! I originally found this over at Iowa Girl Eats, but I adapted it to the ingredients I had on hand.
1 Frozen sliced banana
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
1 Cup Fat free milk
4 Cups baby spinach (or more, or less)

I put my blender on the smoothie setting, and voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment